Friday, April 17, 2009

Bluebell leaves in two lights



Softer or stronger - which is better?

3 comments:

Pat Worley said...

I like the stronger light. There is more definition between the leaves and I like the intensity of the color.

kiefer said...

And I like the softer light--not sure I can define why. Seems more spring like, I guess--when things are new and fragile.

Barbara said...

Thank you! I was torn myself, possibly leaning towards softness, though stronger may have more energy, drama. So, no right answer. The choice may relate to context with other images or depend on which emphasis of the two you describe is preferred.

What I find in these situations with changing sunlight as it becomes later in the morning, and even more so when shifting clouds add to light's variability, is that there are many opportunities to explore and that you often do have these choices.

Responding to the dramatic differences wrought by changing light offers a combination of control and chance that can be the essence of the excitement. This is what I call surfing the light.

Sometimes, particularly with clouds adding and subtracting, diffusing and revealing strong sunlight, you can anticipate and choose the perfect balance of softness not offered by full light and drama not offered with fully diffused light.

So, sometimes the half lights or between lights are perfect.