Friday, November 20, 2009

Gerry - Scott's Run





3 comments:

kiefer said...

Gerry: I really like how most of your images are a kind of pathway into the space you are looking at. Having never climbed down to the dike--your image makes me want to take up the challenge.

Barbara said...

Falls picture - One thing I was thinking about Friday at Scott's was the quality of 'glancing' light or a sort of momentary soft spotlight picking up some detail. This picture has that lovely quality.

Similarly, another quality of light I respond to is a warm background in the distance (Maryland shore) that sometimes comes up in somewhat early / late light.

After reading Gopnik's review of Terri W's show "Woods" may interest in answering the questions, what are these pictures about? what kind of pictures are they? intensifies.

What are we doing out there at Scott's Run. Given a certain level of photographic mastery (wherewithal to control the means of expression) I think individual investigation of these questions can only be rewarding as that's the real challenge - the end to the means.

Any thoughts?

Of course acknowledging photography as a recreational activity as an end is valid. I'm always curious about photographer's motivations. What's a "good" picture (by personal definition)?

gerry said...

Barbara, good question and I certainly don’t know the answer. However, after the first couple of trips that we made to the Potomac, I concluded that I was being drawn to the rocks for photographic inspiration. Upon arrival at Scott’s Run, that area initially appeared to me as a mass of leaves and bare trees. However, I eventually found rocks! As I look back on images taken in all three trips, I see that rocks are a significant element in nearly every photo that I’ve taken.

So what does it mean? Having spent my pre-teenage years in the rocky hills of Middle Tennessee, we moved to the Mississippi delta which is nearly void of rocks. So, maybe those rocks have some special meaning to me, or my childhood. Maybe, I was trying to say something about or perhaps just acknowledge the one element in those woods that is very slow to changes. I don’t know, maybe nothing, but maybe now that I’m retired from the chaos of corporate life, I seem to be examining the role of things that endure. Actually, as I reflect back over my non-photographic activities over the weekend, this theme may exist there too. For example, on Saturday night I went to a classical concert of the Fairfax Symphonic Orchestra and then on Sunday, I went to Eastern neck island with some “birders” to observe waterfowl migration (which has continued for thousands of years).