Tuesday, May 14, 2013

C&O Canal at Angler's and Great Falls MD

It was a foggy early morning along the Billy Goat B Trail.  The Potomac was at 8.77 feet  on the Little Falls gauge (10 feet is considered flood stage.) 

The following photos illustrate the various moods of the river and environs that morning.

Our first view of the fog on the canal.

A view of the river from the Trail illustrating the fog and the high river level.

The bridge over the canal in the fog.

The energy of the river at high water tumbling down the Bridge Channel to the main river.

The Bridge Channel rapid with the main channel of the Potomac in the background.

Zooming in on the main channel.

The C&O Canal owl.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the raging water, particularly in a spot I have shot repeatedly, and the owl in the "s" curve.

jill said...

bobbi, you really captured the power of the river. it was quite different from our earlier visit. thanks. jill

Nancy said...

I especially like the wood textures of the bridge that you've captured in the misty morning air. Very nice!
Nancy