Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hello everyone, this is Damon of the Potomac landscape photography course @ the Smithsonian.  As a new "convert" to digital photography, my primary goal is to become more comfortable with my DSLR, a Nikon D7000.  Image quality is an important challenge for me to master and using autofocus lenses are also important to understand.  Most recently, I have used film slrs, a Nikon F100, Nikon FM (manual for nearly 35 years), and a point and shoot Nikon s8000 -- a very good camera that produces high quality digital images but as with all point and shoots it has limitations.  This is a photo I shot two years ago in Pompeii on film with the F100.  B&W photography interests me greatly and I hope to be able to use the monochrome feature with equal success as I did with film.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Thanks for introducing yourself on the blog Damon. I like the views within views vantage point in Pompeii. If you really love B+W and are willing to do post-production I suggest you not use the camera's built-in monochrome setting (if I'm understanding you.) For a great deal more control use Lightroom. In case you're interested you could download a trial version of Lr and watch this video by Adobe Evangelist Julieanne Kost (for Lr 4 but applies to 5 as well.)

https://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/converting-images-to-black-and-white-in-lightroom-4/

Some say she talks too fast or is too advanced but you can always stop and rewind to be sure you understand what she's saying.