Saturday, November 21, 2009

Trying something new
















I pushed myself yesterday to take pictures that are not in my comfort zone--which includes most of these. Would appreciate feedback as I am not at all sure that these work.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I can't help but think whether they 'work' could be a whole discussion from the standpoint of work as what, how.

The "blue picture" with the luminous background and lacking horizon line works for me. You eye is pulled into glowing nothingless and so it retreats back into colors of green and gold and darker blues, browns and blacks.

Pushing a little somewhere different seems pretty healthy. Black Gopnick said in Sunday paper There is nothing more boring than a pretty picture. I may have plenty to discuss with him but keeping sight of this particular critique is worthwhile I think.

Anyway, the blues in your picture add a dimension that may be working in terms of what you are attempting - which raises another question.

gerry said...

Hi Leslie, I too like the blue image. The mood is great and the light really does attract you through the image.

The brightly lit brownish orange leaves were appealing subject matter. I tend to prefer the close up version of these leaves versus the wide angle version, primarily because of the somewhat imbalance feeling that I get from the wide angle image. Of course, depending on your intent, all images don't have to be balanced.

kiefer said...

Thanks Barbara and Gerry. Don't really know what my intention was--except to be "looser". I do find myself drawn to what I want to call "magical" light--but I agree with Gopnik that pretty is not enough.

Gerry--in what way is the wide angle of the leaves unbalanced for you? I doesn't quite work for me--but I am not sure why and so would appreciate what makes it uncomfortable for you.

gerry said...

Hi Leslie,

My analysis... The value/tones in the top 40% are bright and without any particularly interesting elements. The right 1/3rd is medium tone without any paticularly interesting elements. In the lower left quadrant, there is bright foliage and a large dark branch on the oblique. There are a few branches that point to the med left side of the image too. With this image, my eyes move to the mid/lower left quadrant and this is why I commented on balance,

I attempted to crop this image to possibly achieve my idea of balance and will upload it in the blog. I'm not sure exactly where it will post. I’m not suggesting this is balanced nor correct, but to my eyes, I would have cropped like this.

Cheers, Gerry