Monday, December 7, 2009

Difficult Before and After







Images made two days apart.

I've taken it as a given that in the woods trees are part of the view. But seeing Terri Wiefenbach's show Woods makes me a little more interested in the push/pull between an often tangled foreground and the "scene" lurking as backdrop. It's been interesting to consider this show and Blake Gopnik's highly favorable review in light of my own sense of the woods, which constitute a lot of my subject matter. I hope everyone can see "Woods" and "Oil" - they make quite a complementary pairing for many reasons.

1 comment:

kiefer said...

wow--these are so beautiful. I am envious that you got there in the snow! Only rain in NYC. I think the hard thing to let go of is the organizing principle--which within all the chaos of the woods, is always clear in your images. To me the organizing principle--or "what this picture is about" is one of those things that is critical to the images you make and one that the rest of us probably struggle with. Again, so beautiful and so characteristic of the place.