Barbara had asked me about the other locations I visited. There were primarily 2 other locations I visited to shoot during our class:
1. Crow's Nest Nature Preserve near Stafford, south of Quantico. There are 2 entry points:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brooke+Road+Trailhead/@38.3687485,-77.3478611,16.03z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89b6e61272403ec3:0x5240be0452016fe3!2sCrow's+Nest+Natural+Area+Preserve!8m2!3d38.3620192!4d-77.3421574!3m4!1s0x0:0x81fe8b585c1bf295!8m2!3d38.3713211!4d-77.3325491
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crow's+Nest+Hiking+Entry+Road/@38.3729535,-77.3533065,16.03z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89b6e61272403ec3:0x5240be0452016fe3!2sCrow's+Nest+Natural+Area+Preserve!8m2!3d38.3620192!4d-77.3421574!3m4!1s0x0:0x8ad9532a61b1ef09!8m2!3d38.3741283!4d-77.3589997
I was told by the steward of that park that there were some eagle nests on the southern part of the park. These shots below are taken from the northern side. My posts are from the southern trail area.
The other location is closer - south of Mt. Vernon, but before you get to Lorton on Route 1:
It is Mason Neck State Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mason+Neck+State+Park/@38.7065254,-77.2159216,12z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89b7aad3aa24aa89:0x29df2643fc9e4abf!2sMason+Neck+State+Park!8m2!3d38.6394037!4d-77.192042!3m4!1s0x89b7aad3aa24aa89:0x29df2643fc9e4abf!8m2!3d38.6394037!4d-77.192042
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/mason-neck?rewrite_uri=state_parks/mas#general_information
It sits right on Belmont Bay and is quite scenic and pleasant -- during the week. There are a number of trails there and in surrounding Parks and Reserves. I was a little disappointed in the trail that I hiked (Meadow View). However, my favorite aspect of the park was around the visitors center where they had set up bird houses to attract quite a few varieties. They advertise that there are eagle nests in the area. I did not see any, but will return at some point to hopefully get some good shots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Many thanks Chris! Excellent places to visit.
All the work you did in putting all this info is much appreciated.
Post a Comment