Saturday, May 2, 2009

Landscape

I came across this great quote from Lee Friedlander today:

" Landscape! The subject of landscape as a photographic possibility is both pleasurable and very difficult. The subject itself is simply perfect, and no matter how well you manage as a photographer, you will only give a hint as too how good the real thing is. ...

In my case, it is an old man's game. I needed to use all that I had learned, every trick, my best gear, whatever wit I was capable of, and I had to be as sharp and aware and immediate as a spark. When all of that is working, and I come home with something of interest and what I think is OK or even good, it's still only a touchstone or a fast glance at the real think itself."
intro to: Lee Friedlander, Photographs Frederick Law Olmstead Landscapes

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Indeed too, true.

In seeing a picture, visual response mingles with other senses' perceptions (fragrance of air, touch of wind), our emotional weather and climate, what we know and don't know, our training, craft and vision.

We receive visual impressions from a narrow band of energy less than 500 nm emanating from the vast electromagnetic spectrum. We perceive three dimensions via binocular vision (offset produced by two eyes).

From our experience we make two dimensional images stripped of associations and minus all but a fraction of the sensation we receive, capturing thin shadows of even the most intensive investigation and observant interpretation.

The quality of our attention and the trying make a difference in whether we bring back a worthwhile hint.