


This post is a little late, but I've been shooting film this fall. I wanted to try my father-in-law's camera, a 1999 Xpan 1, but I also wanted to discipline myself to intentionality in my photograph. I have a tendency with my digital camera to shoot away. With the film camera, I'm limited to a roll or two an outing (which with the panoramic camera means about 20 shots on a roll of 36 film, since the panoramic film makes a double-wide negative of 24x65 instead of 24x36), so I have to think through my shots more than before. In addition, there's no immediate feedback, so I have to to get the shots right before I take them. Finally, because the scanning is expensive, I have to pick only a few to digitize. There are upsides to this -- it is really slowing me down in the field and -- unexpectedly -- getting me to think about the photo sites in advance much more. Here are the first results: Xpan 1 with Kodak Ektar film.
2 comments:
The towpath shot is particularly resplendent.
I think "intentionality" sums up a great deal.
Reaching the point where you choose to do this probably requires time to look around a lot first, before deciding how to harness your efforts and proceed with more focused attention. Rather than limiting you it channels and directs your creativity. It doesn't guarantee more satisfying results per se of course, but when at least you have begun to define a target.
I must learn to preview my comments - they cannot be edited so I could not remove extra word "when" there.
Post a Comment