Monday, October 23, 2017

Happy Monday. Friday was wonderful; I had never been to the Maryland side of Great Falls before and was astonished at the range of beautiful locations to photograph.

I used a combination of hand held and tripod approaches so the ability to lean on the railing was helpful. My lens use varied as well. For the past year I have been using my 50mm and 35mm prime lenses and used them a lot Friday. I started using prime lenses after advice from a teacher and lots of reading. The challenge is definitely getting the right distance from the subject, but these lenses are so terrific that I have been very pleased with the results. In fact, in Peru, I only carried a wide angle and my 50mm for the whole trip. I attached two photos - misty rocks taken with a long lens at 70mm and the bridge taken with my 35mm lens.

Someone asked about Friday - per Barbara's first email, I have us meeting at Riverbend. Do all concur?

Leslie Landerkin

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie,

I have three Sigma lenses that I use with this camera, 17-50mm f2.8 Macro, 105mm f2.8 Prime, 70-300 f4-5.6 OS. I also like my prime lens, but I did not have it with me.

Here is a similar image to yours taken with my 70-300 zoom; 70mm (119mm in 35mm), F22 and 0.5s. ISO 100. This was earlier with the mist still rising, and the sun still in the trees.

https://skipwilliamsphotos.smugmug.com/Smithsonian-Landscape-Class-Fall-2017-/Workshop-No-1-Great-Falls-Maryland/n-HWpMCd/i-zzb66Hs/A

Your prime appears to me to sharper, even with my f22 aperture and maybe a little more pleasant contrast. ...at least to my eye and technique.

This image is with a zoom, vice your prime and taken at f4 0.0125s (1/180). The focal length is 40mm closer to your 50mm prime.

https://skipwilliamsphotos.smugmug.com/Smithsonian-Landscape-Class-Fall-2017-/Workshop-No-1-Great-Falls-Maryland/n-HWpMCd/i-c2khKFf/A

-- skip

Leslie said...

Skip, great photos. Thank you for sharing so many. Did you do much editing in LR as your photos almost have a glow.

I don't use my long lens a lot due to its size and weight. I think the small size of the prime contributes to my liking to shoot with it. Leslie

Unknown said...

I actually like the look of my prime more but had not been to the Maryland side for a while.

Thank you for the comments. I just shoot in RAW, process in the native software, and use Aperture for minor editing and organization. I did pay more attention to the histogram after Barbara's information at our first class.

-- skip