Thursday, October 19, 2017

Assignment: Intro to Class -- Skip Williams

Excited about the class, especially after our initial session last Friday. Meeting Barbara and everyone a pleasure. The description of the class as "exploring landscapes" with our cameras is not just a description, but a challenge to each of us and as a team to not just look but actually see.

 I have been taking photos for many years initially with my Dad's 1930s era Kodak Brownie twin lens reflex and later in High School working on the annual and newspaper staff. My first SLR, an Pentax Spotmatic, was given to me by my Grandparents while college. I have been using a digital SLR for the last 7 years or so.

At our first meeting I decided that I need to get serious about isolating motion and picking a deliberate focus point. Among other things this means I must re-introduce myself to my tripod. It will mean that I must be more deliberate in setting up the shot, paying attention to not just the composition but improving my technical approach and consistency.

Do to work and an interest my wife and I have in traveling for pleasure, I have had the opportunity to explore photography around the world.

It would be hard to find a more intriguing landscape to explore than the Potomac.

I look forward to meeting everyone at the Great Falls Tavern on Friday.

-- skip


https://skipwilliamsphotos.smugmug.com/Nature/Fall/Fall-Mushrooms/i-N79cMWj/A

2 comments:

Jim's Travels said...

Nice pics! Hope you don't mind I commented on smugmug.

Unknown said...

Hi Skip, love the variety in these images, and the B&W version of the one showing the underside ribs stood out to me. --Nick.