Hi, I am Leslie Landerkin and I live in Alexandria. This is my first class from the Smithsonian and with Barbara but I have taken several classes through the Art League in Alexandria as well as an Architectural Photography workshop. I have only been really photographing for 3 1/2 years when I bought my first "real" camera. I have a broad interest in photography genres, not limited to landscape and travel.
I am very interested in a morning or afternoon shooting expedition with one or more of you as it is a little unsettling being in secluded places photographing alone. Sometimes my husband joins me but most often not. My most recent locations locally are Colvin Run near Tysons, Occoquan, VA and Jones Point Park near Alexandria. There are lovely under the bridge views here. Looking forward to a great learning experience in the class.
Hello Leslie. Feel the same way on being alone in secluded areas. Let me know and in most cases I will be able to join you. My email address is in Barbara's email distribution and we can exchange cell numbers next class. Cheers, Rosalinda
I concur. Would very much enjoy going with other on photo field trips. I too am a newbe, I have taken pictures for a long time with my point and shoot cameras but just got my camara that have settings and changeable lenses about a year ago. I too took classes through the Art League to learn about the camara and using the settings. I can go during the week. Thanks for opening the idea. Look forward to learning more as am at The consciously incompetent stage! Tana
Agree, a big plus for this course are the field trips and seeing the landscape through so many eyes. (Not many family members are willing to wake so early.) Still learning what I don't know and what I have not seen. Enjoyed the Maryland view of Great Falls on Friday and look forward to revisiting Riverbend next week.
In my experience we should see more birds along the flats above Great Falls along river bend, especially this time of year. The country here is more open with many large canopy trees. If it has rained expect mud off the trail which is wide here. There is a river trail both upstream and downstream from the visitor center and some upland trails, crossing the ridges and many small streams flowing into the Potomac primarily downstream from the visitor center. We may see horses as there is a trail crossroads downstream toward Great Falls National Park. A good place to see people walking their dogs along here as well.
Just as the trial enters the forest and it becomes rocky along a cliff, potentially less muddy, as the river proper picks up steam nearing the dam and below for the upper falls. Fewer water birds here, but you may see raptors and scavengers as the high ridge comes closer to the river.
Upstream it remains open along the upper flats and we may see kayaks and canoes.
4 comments:
Hi, I am Leslie Landerkin and I live in Alexandria. This is my first class from the Smithsonian and with Barbara but I have taken several classes through the Art League in Alexandria as well as an Architectural Photography workshop. I have only been really photographing for 3 1/2 years when I bought my first "real" camera. I have a broad interest in photography genres, not limited to landscape and travel.
I am very interested in a morning or afternoon shooting expedition with one or more of you as it is a little unsettling being in secluded places photographing alone. Sometimes my husband joins me but most often not. My most recent locations locally are Colvin Run near Tysons, Occoquan, VA and Jones Point Park near Alexandria. There are lovely under the bridge views here. Looking forward to a great learning experience in the class.
Hello Leslie. Feel the same way on being alone in secluded areas. Let me know and in most cases I will be able to join you. My email address is in Barbara's email distribution and we can exchange cell numbers next class.
Cheers,
Rosalinda
I concur. Would very much enjoy going with other on photo field trips. I too am a newbe, I have taken pictures for a long time with my point and shoot cameras but just got my camara that have settings and changeable lenses about a year ago. I too took classes through the Art League to learn about the camara and using the settings.
I can go during the week.
Thanks for opening the idea. Look forward to learning more as am at The consciously incompetent stage!
Tana
Agree, a big plus for this course are the field trips and seeing the landscape through so many eyes. (Not many family members are willing to wake so early.) Still learning what I don't know and what I have not seen. Enjoyed the Maryland view of Great Falls on Friday and look forward to revisiting Riverbend next week.
In my experience we should see more birds along the flats above Great Falls along river bend, especially this time of year. The country here is more open with many large canopy trees. If it has rained expect mud off the trail which is wide here. There is a river trail both upstream and downstream from the visitor center and some upland trails, crossing the ridges and many small streams flowing into the Potomac primarily downstream from the visitor center. We may see horses as there is a trail crossroads downstream toward Great Falls National Park. A good place to see people walking their dogs along here as well.
Just as the trial enters the forest and it becomes rocky along a cliff, potentially less muddy, as the river proper picks up steam nearing the dam and below for the upper falls. Fewer water birds here, but you may see raptors and scavengers as the high ridge comes closer to the river.
Upstream it remains open along the upper flats and we may see kayaks and canoes.
-- skip
Post a Comment