Wednesday, April 21, 2010






Good Evening:

Renee's "flowers" quote from Edna St. Vincent Millay reminded me that a week or so ago I had taken a number of pictures of flower-beds at Wheaton Recreation Park, which has a great staff of wonderful gardeners, in an attempt to figure out what makes for interesting shots of flowers. (Apropos of the quote, though ,I would not have guessed it was from Ms.Edna; if ever there was a riotous and chaotic life here surely was one - the last person who would care about picking a flower and having her way with it.)

Anyway here are some shots. While I imagine they might grace a page or two of a gardener's catalogue, they are not really all that terribly interesting. Run of the mill, really. Does anyone have any ideas on what might make for the kind of view that would make someone stop and take another look?

I include a couple of serious crops - to show the detail available. These are each -at a rough guess - about 5-10 percent of the total picture. They are shot with a Canon 17-40mm L lens on a fine camera. In fact I think the crops are a lot more interesting than the whole picture. But insofar as this is a landscape class the challenge is to get a wide or deep picture in which the flower beds feature as an element. Perhaps that's the problem here - the framing needs serious thinking.

Farid

No comments: